« Home | A good seminary day... » | Spiderman 3. Only 14 months away! » | spiritual leadership » | Feeling on edge » 

Friday, March 03, 2006 

Mmmmm...Jazz...


I just got a cd of John Coltrane playing with Thelonious Monk at Carnegie Hall. If you're not into jazz, take my word for it when I say that this is a big deal! A master pianist and a master sax player in one of the world's great concert halls. I'm listening to it now and it is genius! It's like each one is trying to keep up with the other's improvisational brilliance and they are bringing out the besty in each other. (there's a sermon in there smoewhere!) It's so great! I like jazz because I think it is like life. People (especially us religious types) treat life like classical music: Here's the score, do it this way. Instead it should be: here's the melody. Now make it sound like you. That's jazz!

I have been thinking about picking that CD up. Sounds like it is worth it.

Carl Ellis in "Free at Last?" says the African American theology is mor like jazz and European theology is more like classical music. I think you are on to something. Keep writting!

Post a Comment