« Home | Mmmmm...Jazz... » | A good seminary day... » | Spiderman 3. Only 14 months away! » | spiritual leadership » | Feeling on edge » 

Saturday, March 04, 2006 

The ordination question

Tonight Marnie and I had a conversation about my getting ordained. I really struggle with the issue. The standards for the PC(USA) are prohibitive and exclusive. It is virtually impossible without a certain level of education and money. I know that life would be simpler in some ways if I just jump through the hoops, but the closer I get to them the less I want to jump. The call to ministry comes from God, not an institution. If said institution puts up barriers to someone pursuing their call then it is impeding the work of God.

I suppose if my roots were in the PC(USA) I would be more inclined to lean towards the ordination. To be honest, there was alot I didn't know about the Presbyterian church before I came here. I identified myself more with particular ministries (The Open Door and the Pittsburgh Project) more than I identified with the denomination. After a year and a half of seeing how the organization works, I'm less interested in being a cog in the machine.

Adding to this is the feeling I have had over the last few months that I can't see myself in a traditional parish role. I know people get ordained in non-traditional roles all the time. I also know that in many people's minds ordination adds legitimacy to their ministry. I don't know about that.

I haven't closed the door on ordination. This is how I feel right now. I know I have a call and God-given ministry gifts and skills. Ordination could mean job security, but shouldn't it mean more?