« Home | some thoughts on fasting » | Ph. D. Post » | A Bonhoeffer Paradox » | A night of Bach » | the next black leaders? » | X3: Last Stand » | Ahhh, my frickin' finger!!! » | the power of "Christian Movie Goers" » | black theology and the emergent conversation » | Bonhoeffer, Mark, and the Stillers » 

Friday, March 17, 2006 

requiem for a post

Alas, a post I had on here twice is now gone altogether. For some reason it had posted twice and then when I tried to delete one of the posts it wouldn't go, then I deleted again and lost both. So sad...

I am, however, going to attribute the loss of yesterday's post to an act f God as it wasn't the best thought out post. I will blog again on the same subject soon.

As for today, I had a neat experience that I wanted to write about. One of the recent joys I have had here is proofreading papers for Korean students. (SFTS, if you didn't know has a sizeable Korean population). I proofread a paper tonight then had a brief chat with the paper's writer. She asked me how I was enjoying school, and for some reason I was very honest with her and said "I am ready to be done". We both talked about issues that we have with the school and we realized that they were many of the same issues. As she explained to me, the Presbyterian Church in Korea that attended has 50,000 members (does the PC(USA) have 50,000 members total? - just kidding) She said it was more theologically conservative and that there was alot of emphasis on the Holy Spirit. She feels that her current seminary experience isn't really teaching her how to do ministry in a church and that many of the things she is learning she can't preach to a congregation.

It was then that realized the truth: I am Korean.

Okay, maybe not. But it isn't it interesting that non-white students don't feel comfortable at a liberal, traditional Presbyterian seminary? Anyway, we had a nice conversation and realized we had alot in common. That's always fun. I also very much enjoy reading her writing. Some of the nuts and bolts of english writing haven't been mastered yet, but her writing has depth and soul.

I wrote my final paper for church hustory II on the similarities between the development of the african american church and the Korean church. It's amazing how the marginalized communicate their faith in similar ways.

Maybe I'm more Korean than I think...