« Home | I'm so hot right now... » | Portland Getting Whiter » | kinda random today... » | baptism by fire » | Procrastinating... » | So I have all of this wonderful stuff to blog abou... » | Another Sacred Encounter » | just in case you were wondering how evil I am ... » | Money and other frustrations » | the Porpoise-Diving Life » 

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 

Where Patriotism Belongs...

Happy Independence Day!

As a codependent, I am more prone to celebrate the arrival of my wife here in Portland for the rest of the summer than a patriotic holiday, but oh well.

On Sunday we went to one of the churches that is part of PUN. I suppose it was only coincidence that I would end up at the most conservative of the churches on the weekend preceding the fourth. It was agonizing. We began the service with the pledge of allegiance. I'm actually quite surprised I remembered the thing! Of the five hymns that were sung, four had a patriotic tinge to them. I felt dirty.

Saying the pledge in church is quite against my nature. I certainly don't consider the republic (for which it stands) as one of my primary allegiances. God, Family, friends,...okay. I'll pledge allegiance to them. The poor, the outcast, the oppressed...I'd love to pledge my allegiance to them!

It got me asking the very basic question of whether or not patriotism of this kind belongs in church. For the congregation I was in, it was obviously meaningful. For me, it was only upsetting.

Don't get me wrong, I love America. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Except maybe Canada or Australia. Anyway, I love the freedom I have here. I love the doors that are open for me. I don't love America's history or the ahistorical way in which super-patriotic people address the greatness of the country. I don't like what America is and is becoming on the global stage, which is nothing more than a bully in the world's playground. I don't like how America treats its poor, its children, its elderly. I don't like how America handles its diversity.

I critique America because I love it. I want it to live up to its potential. I want it to be the becon that some say it already is. I want their to truly be liberty and justice for all. I am invested in America and its future. I've never had a strong draw toward foreign mission (not on a long term basis anyway) so I believe that my minstry will play itself out in this country. I'm invested in this country's cities, its people, its future.

What I'd love to see is other countries praising America instead of us praising ourselves. I would love for us to take a step back from being world police and let the nations tell us where we can help. I'm not talking about isolationism. Just not imperialism. I want America to rebuild its credibilty abroad. John Kerry said that alot and that was one of the few things I agreed with him on. Wars have tarnished our reputation.

I'd love to believe that God still has a great work left to do in America. I hope that great work isn't accomplished with its decline.

My neighbor is an immigrant. He's quite patriotic. America offers him opportunities he would not have in his country. Its funny how we're trying to close the door to the people who will really love this country and recognize its promise. Spoiled kids like me don't love America as much because I haven't had to work as hard. Maybe if America became a place where we all felt like we were serving and had to serve again (like the World War II generation feels) than maybe we'd love it more too. People love a country when they have to work for it. I haven't had to work for America, it was handed to me.

I don't think through my posts before I post them. Always stream of consciousness.

So I don't know if what will help for me is to become more a servant of my country, thus working harder for it, or if I want my country to do something for me that its not doing. JFK said "Ask not what your country can do for you..." you know the rest. So what can I do for my country?

I am quite frightened that you actually had to say the pledge in church. I am constantly shocked that this still goes on. Wow!

The upside to being sick this week is I missed all these festivities at church... heh. LUCKY ME.

I have this video of my 5 year old saying the pledge of "awegeince" hee--but as cute as that might be, it bugged me it was compelled at school. For reasons of my own, it's not something I say--his father and I had a big convo when the kid went to Kindergarten. I wanted the boy NOT to say it, IZ thought it was OK and made our already "strutting to a different drum" child stand out even more. You following this nonsense? ANYHOW--long story short. If I get worked up about little people saying it at school you can imagine my reaction at church.

And it should be fireworks when you are reunited with a much loved person.

Pledging allegiance to anything but God in a Church is idolatry. This actually will be a bit of a litmus test for me when it comes to accepting calls. I really don't believe I could work in a church where they wanted the American Flag (or any other national symbol) in the sanctuary.

Like you I love many aspects of America, I am happy to call it my home, but I also know that most of the reason I love it is because I grew up here and my friends and family are here. If chance had been otherwise I'd probably be saying I love Peru, or Spain, or Indonesia right now and for the same reason. No one seems to be happy with just saying I love it because it's my home, though... the instant you start to criticize America people pull out the Freedom this Freedom that speech - when they don't even have any experience in other places to justify their claim that this is such a "Free" place to live. Having lived in many other countries I can say that the experience of Freedom is entirely relative. There are restrictions placed on me here in California that I never worried about in Brasil or Scotland.

The America people have in their minds is a tall-tale.

Post a Comment