« Home | The ordination question » | Mmmmm...Jazz... » | A good seminary day... » | Spiderman 3. Only 14 months away! » | spiritual leadership » | Feeling on edge » 

Sunday, March 05, 2006 

Hollywood pats itself on the back!


'Crash' won best picture tonight. I was pretty shocked and very pleased. I really didn't see any of the other nominees, but 'Crash' was an incredibly powerful film and a story that still needs to be told in our country. I really had planned on writing on the cultural impact of 'Brokeback Mountain' winning best picture, but I guess I don't get to do that. Ah well...

In other Oscar news...some other people won some other awards. Honestly, I didn't care much about the awards this year. I didn't see alot of movies last year and most of the ones I saw weren't up for many (if any) awards. The same thing happened last year. I still haven't seen 'Million Dollar Baby' or 'The Aviator'. They are on my netflix list though.

I feel like I'm becoming more detatched from the side of me that wanted to be a filmmaker. I don't like that. I still hope to make a film at some point in my life. I really enjoy the process, especially editing (which apparently makes me weird). It's a very communal process. I hate that I'm not watching movies the way I used to. Part of the problem is that it is just easier to watch tv. I don't have tons of time to watch and invest in a movie. Second, in some ways, tv has become a better art form. Not all tv, mind you, but in reaction to the fear of the medium being taken over by reality tv, really good scripted (or openly scripted!) shows have emerged. Shows like the American version of 'The Office', 'My Name is Earl', 'Lost', '24', etc...Sure, there is still plenty of crap, but tv is having a mini-renaissance.

I wonder some times if it is just my pride that wants to make a film. I'll never win a Super Bowl. I'll probably never be WWE champion (not that that was ever really a personal goal), but the door is still open to make a film that I would get recognition for. In some ways, that has caused me to distance myself from that particular desire, I don't want to do things that are just for my own recognition. The more I think about it, though, there is also plenty of hubris to be used in ministry work.

I'm tired and I'm rambling. The bottom line is that I don't want to abandon the part of me that loves film and not just as a pasttime. I also don't want to make 'Left Behind 6 - Really Left Behind'.