« Home | short book review » | here's a weird piece of info... » | SB day #3 - more rain... » | SB day #2 - please stop me, I'm having too much fun! » | SB day #1 - sad blog day » | Spring Break...Wooo Hooo! » | Grace... and nothing else » | pros and cons » | Studying for the Bar Exam » | christology 101 (or not) » 

Saturday, April 01, 2006 

More than enough room?

The big issue being discussed in politics this week was immigration. I don't have a ton of opinions on this subject other than that it is hypocrisy to close our borders when immigration is what this country was built on and diversity supposedly what makes this country great. The big issue to me is that we're not investing in Mexico. If we did that, Mexicans wouldn't need to come here to find opportunities. That's a very narrow view, as my wife pointed out to me, but that would be a start. Certainly with the families that have been seperated already, just investing in our neighbors to the south isn't a cure all. I know in post 9/11 America it is nonsense to say that we don't need tight security at the borders. That's probably not realistic. But we should do things that make it easier for people to work here and maybe even for them to become citizens. Personally, I also think the rest of us should make more efforts to learn spanish. Like I said, I haven't read alot or even thought much about this issue. I've certainly thought more about it since being in California. Still, if you want an argument against immigration, look no farther than California's governor. Nope, I take everything back. Close the borders, seal them tight!