« Home | Spring Break...Wooo Hooo! » | Grace... and nothing else » | pros and cons » | Studying for the Bar Exam » | christology 101 (or not) » | a little more musin' » | "musings" on the war » | Missing Ted... » | requiem for a post » | some thoughts on fasting » 

Monday, March 27, 2006 

SB day #1 - sad blog day

Today is sad blog day. John in Pittsburgh blogged about his friends' miscarriage, Kat blogged about not passing all of the ords, there are more posts out there on the article in the NY Times on the state of black men...

It is rainy and windy in San Anselmo. I think I have seasonal affect disorder (SAD). That's the scientific (psychological?) term for when the weather affects your mood. Honestly, I haven't had a bad day. I just feel down because of the weather and alot of my friends (beyond the ones I mentioned) are having life stress.

Our culture teaches us to do whatever we can to not feel sad. I think we need it. I think we need to feel sad. We need to be down on occassion. We fight against our mind and spirit's completely normal reactions to distressing news. I think of some of the biblical expressions of grief: ripping clothes, sackcloth and ashes, all that jazz. People knew how to be sad back then. They knew when it was appropriate.

I have alot of angry music on my itunes. Alot! Some of it would surprise people if they caught me listening to it, but I love it! Sometimes I want to emmerse myself in people expressing genuine rage and angst. I want to hear people who are disappointed with what life has handed them. I'm not a huge fan of blues, but I get it. That's one of the great things about the arts. We can express our "negative" emotions in creative ways.

Sometimes life sucks. We shouldn't have to pretend that it doesn't. Bitch! Moan! Complain! Whine! Scream your favorite obscenity at the top of your lungs! Curse God and your neighbor! Be anti-social!

... and then rebound.

i agree totally. you'd be surprised how much respect i have for screaming "smack my bitch up". well, maybe you wouldn't.

i am going to email you about having a party in the student lounge. it will make me feel less pathetic.

well said,derrick. that was therapeutic to read. thanks for the reminder that it's not only ok, but good, to sometimes recognize that all is not as it should be! otherwise we become numb and out of touch.

Thanks, sweetie, but aren't you supposed to be working?

Post a Comment