« Home | Could I BE more orthodox? » | Where Patriotism Belongs... » | I'm so hot right now... » | Portland Getting Whiter » | kinda random today... » | baptism by fire » | Procrastinating... » | So I have all of this wonderful stuff to blog abou... » | Another Sacred Encounter » | just in case you were wondering how evil I am ... » 

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 

Half way points

Today is my half-birthday (meaning I've been twenty-six for sixmonths now). It is also about halfway through my summer internship. Though I don't really have much to reflect on as to the nature of being a 26 year old in today's society, I do have alot to think about in terms of being halfway done with a fairly unique and intense internship.

Realizing that I will only be here another five weeks or so, my expectations have been refined. While I would say that much has been accomplished, I won't actually "finish" much this summer. I have to be okay with that. I have preached three pretty good sermons. I've helped the PUN pastors to think about ways that they can be more engaged in their communities. I have had conversations with folks outside of the church about faith and religion. I guess those are accomplishments.

In following the lectionary, I preached on II Corinthians 12:1-10 this past week. Paul talks about the "thorn" in his side that keeps him humble. There have always been debates as to what that thorn is. I'd like to throw a new theory into the ring: the thorn in Paul's side was time. Anyone who truly engages in ministry (and loves people) probably wants to be freed from the confines of time. To have more time to do the work that God has uniquely created for them. In the declaration that "My grace is sufficient for you", God is reminding Paul that while he is bound by time, God is not. The peace to know that God is not hampered by time as we are is truly an extension of grace.

The best thing I can do in the next five weeks is to establish relationships. That is really all I've done since being here, and according to my mid-internship evaluation, that seems to be making people happy.

Speaking of which, some interesting reflections came out of my evaluation. Stephanie pointed out that the PUN pastors really treated me like a colleague and that that was the best thing that come from an internship. An interesting perspective. It's true, I have been treated very much like a colleague of the pastors I work with. My gifts have been appreciated for probably the first time since I left Pittsburgh (by someone other than my wife), which has been very empowering. i don't know about you, but I want to work harder when I'm appreciated.

The other interesting thing that came out of the evaluation was the question of how I'm dealing with the responsibility/expectations that come with being a pastor. I described the feeling as being like wearing a suit that is too big for you. in general, I think I've handled it well. The weirdest thing is actually hearing people refer to me as a "pastor". That has happened several times since I've been here. It feels strange, but I guess that's what I'm here for.

This Sunday I think I got the compliment that meant the most to me. My preaching has overall been very well received. This Sunday there were three older African Americans at the church where I preached. The pastor of the church had invited them to hear me preach. One of them was a retired pastor and the other two had been very involved in ministries for a long time. To hear them say how much they appreciated my preaching meant more to me than I can probably articulate here. I've always had a little bit of anxiety about preaching to a certain demographic of African Americans, so to see them nodding along and smiling throughout my sermon and then to receive affirmation from them was huge for me. Does that make sense?

Anyway, there is much more to do. Thank God that He will be in Portland long after I'm gone (and was here long before I came)!



Anyone else notice that my blog looks different?