« Home | Guess whose back... » | Rate me! » | reflections, thoughts, ideas, but definitely not m... » | Half way points » | Could I BE more orthodox? » | Where Patriotism Belongs... » | I'm so hot right now... » | Portland Getting Whiter » | kinda random today... » | baptism by fire » 

Friday, August 25, 2006 

The Autobiography of Derrick L. Weston

Besides being the last bastion of incoherent stream of consciousness, my blog will also become a place where information and reflections for my new internship will appear.

Welcome to those of you from Mission Bay Community Church that may be visiting. In case you are wondering who this mysterious new intern of yours really is, allow myself to introduce...myself.

I have lived most of my life in or around the city of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I am twenty-six. I have been married for three years to an incredible woman named Marnie. She and I met at an urban ministry called the Pittsburgh Project. The Project is a community based nonprofit urban ministry that does home repair for vulnerable homeowners and youth programs for urban youth. I worked there from 2000 to 2004. It is a place you will hear me talk about quite a bit. It was there that I had my faith renewed by seeing people put actions to their faith. It was there that I felt my call to ministry. As I've already mentioned, I met my wife there and I've made some of best friends there. It is a place that feels like home to me.

I did my undergraduate work at the University of Pittsburgh in film studies. I am currently in my third and final year at San Francisco Theological Seminary working towards my MDiv. (Masters of Divinity - cool name, huh?)

Marnie is a social worker, she counsels students at a Marin County high school. She's fluent in spanish. She is also, I might add, awesome!

My interests, other than Marnie, are film, music (I love jazz!), football (Go Steelers!!!), television, books (but only in small doses), and beer. Yes, I include beer as an interest.

Last thing, I had my faith revitalized at the Pittsburgh Project. I had my hope for the church revitalized at a place called the Open Door. That's where I got introduced to the ideas of the emerging church and missional church. If those things raise questions for you, I'd love to at least give you my take on them. I would also point you to the blogs of the Lead Pastor BJ Woodworth, and John Creasy who also ministers there. Both have great things to say about life, faith, and the church.

That's a little about me. Feel free to post. Ask questions. Make comments. Whatever. I'll be around.