« Home | can I get a do-over? » | More than enough room? » | short book review » | here's a weird piece of info... » | SB day #3 - more rain... » | SB day #2 - please stop me, I'm having too much fun! » | SB day #1 - sad blog day » | Spring Break...Wooo Hooo! » | Grace... and nothing else » | pros and cons » 

Monday, April 03, 2006 

rebel against intellectual arrogance...

Today one of my favorite profs did one of my least favorite things. He read one of my peer's papers as an example, more or less, of what not to do. I hate that! I think that is humiliating and completely unpedagogical (if that's a word). What did I learn from him doing that, other than that seemingly cool old guys are capable of being huge dicks! It really really ticked me off!

I get really upset sometimes with some of the arrogance that comes across some the profs here. At some point their opinions became above reproach. That must have been great for them when that happened. Sometimes just looking at the assignments, the amount of reading that is expected, the tone of lectures...all of it just reeks of hubris...

...(sigh) as does writing a blog full of your opinions. That's what worries me. I see the same hubris in me sometimes. More often than I'd like to admit. I've fooled some people into thinking that I'm a pretty humble guy. Let me set the record straight, I'm not. If only you knew how highly I think of myself. Sure, there are things thatI'm not good at. I can't play bass like Flea (I'm listening to the Chili Peppers) i can't sing like...anyone. I'm probably pass my athletic prime (though Marnie and I have been getting back into shape). Point is, though I am aware of things I can't do, I'm also very aware of the things I'm good at. Sometimes that simple acknowledgement of skill can be the beginning of going down the slippery slope towards arrogance.

My goal is balance. Balance between acknowledging God-given skills and gifts (emphasis on God-given) and having the attitude that was in Christ (Phil. 2). That's a tough one. It must be especially tough for professor types. Still, that doesn't excuse calling out a student in front of a class.

Well, that's all my musing for today. I have to go finish some hubris-inspired assignments. Of course, being the amazing student that I am...

Damn it, did it again!